Joomla 3.8.9 is now available. This is a security release which addresses 2 security vulnerabilities and contains over 50 bug fixes and improvements.
What's in 3.8.9?
Joomla 3.8.9 addresses two security vulnerabilities and several bugs, including the fatal error in the random image module, the error on uploading images in child folder, and several other bugs and improvements, including:
Security Issues Fixed
- Low Priority - Core - Local File Inclusion with PHP 5.3 (affecting Joomla 2.5.0 through 3.8.8) More information »
- Low Priority - Core - XSS vulnerability in language switcher module (affecting Joomla 1.6.0 through 3.8.8) More information »
Bug fixes and Improvements
- Correctly escape the random image module output #20533
- Fix folder browsing and file upload that broke in 3.8.8 due to escaping #20586
- com_mailto (mail to friend) allows the usage of a Captcha by using JForm #20265
- Tag indexing improvement #13868
- Fix use of hyphens in data attributes #20579
- Updates to third party PHP libraries #20583
- CodeMirror updated to 5.38.0 #20636
Visit GitHub for the full list of bug fixes.
New InstallationsDownload Joomla 3.8.9
English (UK), 3.8.9 Full Package
Upgrade PackagesUpgrade Packages
Joomla 3 upgrade packages
Note: Please read the update instructions before updating.
Please remember to backup your site before updating and to clear your site, administrator and browser cache after updating.
If you find a bug in Joomla please report it on the Joomla! Issue Tracker.
Please see the documentation wiki for FAQs regarding the 3.8.9 release.
A Huge Thank You to Our Volunteers!
A big thank you goes out to everyone that contributed to the 3.8 releases!
Make the next Joomla release even better
Joomla 3.9, 3.10 and 4.0 are in the works. If you would like to help improve them you can make a direct difference! You can find more information about these releases on GitHub:
- Joomla 3.9 milestone: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestone/20
- Joomla 3.9 Privacy Framework: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/20800
- Joomla 3.10 milestone: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestone/34
- Joomla 4.0 milestone: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/milestone/5
We invite you to download these upcoming releases on the nightly build page (for testing purposes only - do not use on production sites).
Join the Joomla Volunteer Community and contribute your skills and time to help Joomla grow even more:
- Become a tester - no special skills required, but able to install test releases, and follow reporting instructions
- Help us translate - for those who speak English and any other language
- Document new features - for those who can write tutorials and technical documentation
- Other areas - find one that fits your skills and interests.
Spread the Joomla Love
Has Joomla helped you do your job better, saved you money, allowed you to do more with your website? You can help others experience the same results and find out about this great Open Source Content Management System by telling others.
Share the news!
Don't forget to visit the Joomla 3.8 Landing Page to get an overview of the new features, download our wide range of imagery available for sharing in blog posts, via social media, or in banners on your site. They can be found on the Joomla 3.8 Imagery page. And if you want to translate them, you can find the source files here.
We would love you to spread the Joomla love and get the word out to your network.
Are you a journalist, blogger or evangelist?