The Joomla! community is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Joomla! 1.5.5 [Mamni]. This is a quick turnaround release to address the Duplicate Title error from 1.5.4 . This release also contains important SEF URL improvements and fixes for com_content in addition to a number of bug fixes and improvements. It has been nearly three weeks since Joomla! 1.5.4 was released on July 8, 2008. The Development Working Group's goal is to continue to provide regular, frequent updates to the Joomla! community.
Download Joomla! 1.5.5 and update packages
Want to test drive Joomla!? Try the online demo. Documentation is available for beginners.
- Fix Duplicate Titles Bug
- SEF URL improvements and fixes for com_content
- Fixed error restricting Search to Article content, only
- Archived Articles now link correctly with SEF URLs
- Category Blog pagination and Link List corrected
- Category List Menu Item and Frontend now allow List length selection
- Fixed Contact Item Bad Word parameter that prevented email
- Private Messaging Search now returns results
- SWF Banner correction allowing definition of dimensions
- Improved 403 reporting for Submit Article and Web link permission issues
- "Register to Read More" fixes for Newsflash
- Page Break and Read More fixes
- JA Purity Hornav position, login token code, and language string fixes
- BEEZ fieldset alignments for Search and Read More link corrections
- Installer fixes for updates to Components and Modules
- mosmsg now used by 1.0.x extensions
Statistics for the 1.5.5 release period:
- Joomla! 1.5.5 contains:
- 36 Issues Fixed in SVN
- 11 Commits
- Tracker activity resulted in a net decrease of 43 Active Issues:
- 86 New Reports
- 93 Closed
- 36 Fixed in SVN
- At the time 1.5.5 Release was packaged, the Tracker had 113 Active Issues:
- 55 Open
- 40 Confirmed
- 18 Pending
Joomla! 1.5.6 Goals
- Menu performance improvements
- Replacement of the Pear library
- Update of the OpenID library to v 2.0
- Consistency for 403 errors and "Register to Read More" functionality
- Identify and fix Form Redirects that do not have SEF URLs
- Expand Automated URL testing scenarios
- Recruit Bug Squad members who use Joomla! with non-English languages, especially those who use a RTL language
- Introduction of Unit Testing
- Continue working on the //TODO tags in source code
Following is additional information for important fixes and enhancements available in Joomla! 1.5.5.
Fix Duplicate Titles Bug
One of the goals for Joomla! 1.5.4 was to build consistency for Joomla! Component Page Titles for each of core template. Overall, the project was very successful except for the appearance of "double titles" on the Article Layout due to both the Page Title and the Article Title printing on the Web page. The reason for this quick release of Joomla! 1.5.5 is to resolve this problem.
Page Titles will appear on Articles only if each of the following three conditions are true:
- The Article is presented using the "Article Layout" Menu Type.
- The "Page Title" parameter has a value.
- The "Show Page Title" parameter option is "Yes."
Articles that are navigated to by clicking the "Read more..." from a Blog, or clicking an Article Title from a List, no longer print the parent Page Title on the Article Web page.
As a reminder: the "Show Article Title" Global, Menu Item, and Article parameters continue to govern the display of the Article Title. That did not change with the Page Title consistency work and it has not changed with this fix, either.
Thank you to the Joomla! community for your patience and support, for helping one another, and for testing the patch to ensure it resolved this problem.
SEF URL improvements and fixes for com_content
Many agree, one of the most important features of Joomla! 1.5 is improved SEF URLs. A number of bugs with SEF Content URLs were fixed in this release, including issues related to Section List links, Breadcrumbs, Article Archives, Page Titles, and Article links in various Modules. A goal for the Joomla! 1.5.5 release was to correct those errors. In addition to the bug fixes, an improvement to Category Blog SEF URLs is now available in Joomla! 1.5.5.
Prior to Joomla! 1.5.5, Category Blog Article SEF URLs followed this pattern: http://example.com/menu-item-alias/nn-category-alias/nn-article-alias.html
With Joomla! 1.5.5, the URL no longer includes the nn-category-alias node, as this pattern shows: http://example.com/menu-item-alias/nn-article-alias.html
Existing Joomla! 1.5 Web sites should experience no problem due to this SEF URL enhancement. The Joomla! Bug Squad tested to ensure existing SEF URLs for Category Blog Articles continue to navigate to the correct page. No problems were discovered during this testing.
To help ensure all SEF URL fixes produced intended results, the Bug Squad introduced automated testing for SEF URLs. While this initial testing is far from exhaustive, it has proven to be valuable. Expanded automated URL testing will be an integral part of ensuring SEF URLs continue to provide consistent results for future releases.
The Bug Squad would like to thank Louis Landry for developing the SEF URL Content patch. With these fixes, many errors on the Joomla! 1.5 Tracker were corrected and the SEF URLs for Content are now working, as intended.
Joomla! Bug Squad
Thanks to the Joomla! Bug Squad for their dedicated efforts investigating reports, fixing problems, and applying patches to Joomla!. If you find a bug with Joomla!, please report the bug using the Joomla! tracker.
Active members of the Bug Squad during this last release cycle include: Anthony Ferrara (lead); Airton Torres, Arno Zijlstra, Akarawuth Tamrareang, Alan Langford, Amy Stephen, Andrew Eddie, Elin Waring, Ercan Ozkaya, Esban Bahnsen, Ian MacLennan, Jennifer Marriott, Jens-Christian Skibakk, Joseph LeBlanc, Kevin Devine, Mati Kochen, Robin Muilwijk, Samuel Moffatt, Shantanu Bala, and Wilco Jansen.
Warm welcome to the newest members of the Bug Squad: Mark Dexter and Marijke Stuivenberg.