The Joomla! Project and Community is excited and proud to announce the immediate availability of Joomla! CMS 3.2.0 Stable.
With literally dozens of new features including:
- Content version control
- Many user interface improvements
- Easy multi-lingual setup for 64 officially supported languages
- Built-in Joomla! Extensions Finder as an onsite interface to the Joomla! Extensions Directory (that currently lists over 4000 extensions) providing one-click extensions installation
- Increased security with strong passwords and two step authentication
- New rapid development framework for new extension coding
Joomla 3.2 is truly a Something New for Everyone release. These exciting new features are highlighted and explained in a series of short video preview tutorials: Joomla! 3.2 Video Tutorials.
A huge THANK YOU to all contributors towards what is Joomla's largest release ever in terms of new features and community participation. Since the release of 3.1.5, over 1085 commits have been made to the code base with 50 different people contributing to commits (not including testers and other non-coding activities). And best of all is that the new features are awesome!
Joomla 3.2 is a standard-term support release and is a one-click upgrade (not a migration) from previous Joomla 2.5 and 3 series releases.
New Installations: Click here to download Joomla 3.2.0 (Full package) »
Update Package: Click here to download Joomla 3.1.x to 3.2.0 (Update package) »
Note: Just in case you need it, we also have 3.1.6 packages available. Version 3.1.6 is exactly the same as version 3.1.5 except that the three security fixes in 3.2.0 are added. We encourage all 3.1 users to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 right away as 3.2 contains the security fixes and is a one-click upgrade with full backward compatibility support from 3.1.
Note: Please read the instructions below.
- New installation and technical requirements
- 3.x Upgrade instructions*
- FAQ on updating from 2.5.x (if desired)*. Please read the entire FAQ to get all the pertinent information.
- Migration from Joomla! 1.5.x
*Please be sure to clear your browser's cache after upgrading.
Please note that you should always backup your site before upgrading.
Which bugs have been fixed in Joomla! 3.2?
Thanks to the hard work of JBS and other volunteers, there have been over 375 bugs squashed since Joomla 3.1.5! See http://developer.joomla.org/version-3-2-0-release-notes.html for details of the tracker items fixed. For known issues with the 3.2.0 release, see the Version 3.2.0 FAQ in the documentation site.
What are the new features of Joomla! 3.2?
- 31266 - GSoC 2013 - Improved Template Manager
- 31347 - GSoC 2013 - Introducing HTML5 form fields and attributes
- 31989 - GSoC 2013: Microdata semantics library
- 31264 - GSoC 2013: Front-end Site Configuration
- GSoC 2013 - Removed Mootools dependencies
- Miscellaneous interface improvements from the JUX Code Sprint
- 32175 - JED info link in extensions installer and 1-click installer of "install from Web" plugin
- 31436 - *Create a update button to list new Help servers
- 31757 - Enable PSR-0 Autoloading by Default
- 31389 - TinyMCE 4.0 Update
- 31774 - Add the Framework DI Container to the CMS
- 31009 - Add a switch to turn mail sending on/off
- 30944 - Content versioning for core and third-party components
- 31800 - Add Joomla Ajax Interface to core
- 31844 - Rapid Application Framework (Joomla! RAD)
- 31704 - Two factor authentication for Joomla!
- 31725 - Joomla multilingual site automatic installer
- 31727 - Migrate application classes from legacy JApplication to JApplicationWeb
- 31977 - Component for Post-Installation Messages
- 31561 - Add support for BCrypt encryption of passwords and rewrite cookie based authentication to use it
- 30781 - Small changes to jForm and jField to allow for repeatable form elements
- 30798 - Add logging to Joomla Update
- 31770 - Update to jQuery 1.10.2 and add jQuery Migrate 1.2.1
- 28638 - Advanced ACL for com_modules, permissions per module
What are the other new features of the Joomla! 3 series?
- Incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive administrator template --Isis-- and interface.
- A new front end template --Protostar-- built using Twitter Bootstrap
- Updated accessible template called Beez3
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS
- Multilanguage: adding items associations in remaining core components.
- Language Installation tool for the Joomla Installer.
- Items associations in multi-language
- Allow different update packages for different version dev levels
- Show logs in debug console
- Refactor installation to use new application and MVC classes
- Add pagination in COM_SEARCH component
- Added triggers on save for com_config
What security issues have been fixed in Joomla! 3.2?
- High Priority - Core XSS Vulnerability More information »
- Medium Priority - Core XSS Vulnerability More information »
- Medium Priority - Core XSS Vulnerability More information »
What is the status of Joomla! 2.5?
Version 2.5 of the Joomla! CMS is a Long Term Support release and support for it will continue until December 31st, 2014. Joomla 2.5 users do not need to migrate to Joomla 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2.
Will I be able to update directly to Joomla! 3?
Moving to Joomla 3.x from Joomla 2.5 will be a mini-migration not an upgrade, although for the core of Joomla! the migration should be simple. However, it is likely that templates for Joomla 2.5 will need modification to work with Joomla 3 as will many extensions. Always test prior to migrating and consult with the developers of any extensions and templates you use.
What is the status of Joomla! 1.5?
Support for Joomla 1.5 ended in April of 2012 and we continued to support it unofficially until the end of 2012 for medium to high priority security issues.
Does that mean your 1.5 site has suddenly stop working? No, your site will continue to work as it always has (assuming your host hasn't changed anything on their end). However, Joomla’s developers will not be releasing new versions for Joomla 1.5, so you won’t be getting bug fixes or security fixes. For this reason, it’s recommended to migrate from 1.5.
Moving from 2.5 to any Joomla 3 version is relatively simple, since Joomla has made the process easy for newer versions. Unfortunately, moving from 1.5 is not a trivial task. Fortunately, there are several good extensions on the JED that make the process easier and you have a choice of going straight to Joomla 3 or going to 2.5 first. Please consult with their documentation on how to migrate from Joomla 1.5 to 3/2.5.
For most new/migrated sites, the Joomla! 3 series is the preferred series and starting on it avoids a mini-migration from Joomla 2.5 later down the road. Starting on the Joomla 3 series for a new/migrated site, also provides you with longer backward compatible support (with one-click upgrades) than starting a new site on 2.5 right now, because support for 3.x ends at the end of 2016.
How can you help Joomla development?
The Joomla Bug Squad is one of the most active teams in the Joomla development process and is always looking for people (not just developers) that can help with sorting bug reports, coding patches and testing solutions. It’s a great way for increasing your working knowledge of Joomla, and also a great way to meet new people from all around the world.
You can also help Joomla development by thanking those involved in the many areas of the process. In the past year, for example, over 1,055 bugs have been fixed by the Bug Squad.
The project also wants to thank all of the people who have taken the time to prepare and submit work to be included in Joomla 3.2 and the new Joomla Framework.
If you are an extension developer, please make sure you subscribe to the general developer mailing list as this is a place where you can discuss extension development and news that may affect custom development will be posted from time to time.
- Working with the Joomla Feature Tracker
- General developer mailing list
- Joomla developer network
- Joomla development strategy
A Huge Thank You to Our Volunteers!
This release is the result of thousands of hours of work by dozens of volunteers. Thank you so very much for making Joomla the best CMS on the planet!