- Created on Monday, 10 January 2011 20:01
Joomla!® 1.6.0 is now available for immediate download.
This new version of Joomla includes more power, more control, and more options than ever before.
Rebuilt from the ground up in much of the application, this latest Joomla release will delight the casual site builder while helping small, medium, and enterprise businesses succeed in delivering web sites, intranets and applications to their respective markets.
Delivering power through simplicity, Joomla 1.6 ensures its place as the popular CMS of its kind. Joomla 1.6 delivers new features to end-users and site administrators including:
- Finer access controls for viewing and editing content with configurable user groups and viewing levels
- A user-defined category structure, from simple one-level to complex multi-level categories
- Installation improvements allowing for multiple extension installations in one package, updatable with a single click
- Expanded language support for easy production of multi-lingual sites
- Start and end publishing times for modules with more control over where they display,
- Fresh new templates and semantic markup to please the eye as well as the search engines
- More creative control through template styles
- Hundreds of additional features, streamlining workflow and productivity
With Joomla 1.6 developers will build extensions faster through all phases of design, deployment and updates.
Advanced and rich API’s will provide new opportunities to integrate, compete and expand into existing and new markets.
Style improvements give graphic designers more control and more flexibility to create the perfect effect for any web site and audience. Designers can now override virtually all output from the Joomla Administrator giving rise to new opportunities for functional, accessible or even mobile-friendly Administrator areas. Individual Administrator templates can be assigned to individual users allowing web masters to address any special needs.
To learn more, or to get started building your own Joomla 1.6 web site visit joomla.org/16 and download one of the world’s most popular free Open Source content management systems.
We invite you to join the entire Joomla project in celebrating the arrival of Joomla 1.6.
Most importantly, congratulations to the hundreds of volunteers whose enormous effort contributed to its final release.
The following translations of this Announcement are available:
- Spanish: Joomla!® 1.6 ¡ya ha llegado!
- Thai: Joomla! 1.6 มาแล้ว!
- Norvegian: Joomla! 1.6 er utgitt
- Swedish: Joomla!® 1.6 är här!
- Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia): Joomla 1.6 Telah Datang!
- Turkish: Joomla!® 1.6 Yayınlandı!
- French: Joomla!® 1.6 est arrivé !
- Serbian: Izašla je Joomla!® 1.6.0
- Catalan: El Joomla!® 1.6 ja és aquí!
- Dutch: Joomla! 1.6 nu beschikbaar!
- German: Joomla! 1.6 fertig!
- Hungarian: Megérkezett a Joomla!® 1.6!
- Italian: E' arrivato Joomla!® 1.6.0!
- Lithuanian: Joomla!® 1.6.0 išleista
- Estonian: Joomla! 1.6 on saabunud
- Romanian: A apărut Joomla!® 1.6
- Macedonian: Joomla!® 1.6 дојде!
- Albanian: Mbrriti Joomla 1 pik 6
- Japanese: Joomla!® 1.6 が届きました！
- Persian: joomla! سری ۱.۶ می رسد
- Slovak: Joomla 1.6 je tu!
- Polish: Joomla 1.6 wydany
- Traditional Chinese: Joomla!® 1.6已經到來！
- Russian: Здравствуй, Joomla 1.6!
- Arabic: الإعلان الرسمي لإطلاق جوملا! 1.6
- Portuguese: Joomla 1.6 já chegou!
- Greek: Το Joomla 1.6 Έφτασε !!!
- Ukrainian: Вийшла Joomla!® 1.6 — нові ідеї та ідеологія Joomla!
- Khmer: Joomla!® ១.៦ បានមកដល់ហើយ!
- more to be added
Thank you to the Translation Teams for their help!
- Created on Sunday, 09 January 2011 07:04
In October 2010 Joomla!Press, an alliance between Open Source Matters and Pearson Publishing, was announced to the community.
Now, The Joomla! Project is proud to announce that the Official Joomla! Book, the first in the series of publications, was released for sale at Amazon and InformIT on December 23, 2010. The same day the book was rated #2 on the Hot New Releases in Programming list from Amazon.ca and #40 on the Bestsellers list in programming.
Today Amazon.com released a Kindle version of the Official Joomla! Book available for purchase.
Purchases of Joomla!Press books are a great way to help support Joomla as proceeds from books, including The Official Joomla! Book, go to the Joomla! project. To learn more about Joomla! Press please click here.
Get the Book!
- Created on Tuesday, 04 January 2011 05:43
The January issue of the Joomla Community Magazine is here!
IN THIS ISSUE...
A special thanks to the members of the Joomla! community who are contributing authors in this month's issue: Theo van der Zee.
Joomla! - We Keep It Movin' by Cristina Solana
Alice Grevet invites us to Party Like It's Joomla! 1.6
Jon Neubauer invokes Camelot: Ask not what Joomla! can do for you...
Matt Lipscomb offers up more Insights From: "The Official Joomla! Book" (Part 3)
Website Case Studies
Robert Vining looks at migrating/upgrading from Mambo to Joomla! in this month's Website Case Study: Kineo E-Learning
Extensions and Services Evaluations
JUGs and Events
Did you know…?
Milena Mitova makes it look as easy as ABC with her Tried and Tested Tools for Building a Teacher-Friendly School Website
Theo van der Zee shares some Zen enlightenment and explains What Joomla! and Bonsai Trees Have In Common
Anthony Olsen offers his Top 10 Joomla! Template Picks for 2010
Nicholas Dionysopoulos takes us to the dark world of ownership, users, groups and permissions. 777: The number of the beast
Bo Astrup reviews ChronoForms 3.1 for Joomla! Site Cookbook which serves up some tasty recipes for successful form configuration and implementation.
Joomla! in the Press/Media
Mark Bender logs in with Joomla! in the Press/Media - January 2011
On the lighter side...
Yepr pops a cork with Jane Beyond & friends
The Joomla! Haiku: Share yours!
punsters and word masters too,
spread the Joomla! love... Post your Haiku here for January 2011 This month's theme: Resolutions!
IN OUR NEXT ISSUE
We want to publish your Joomla! story in the next JCM issue! So take a look at our Author Resources content to get a better idea of what we are looking for, and then register to become a JCM author and submit your Joomla! story!