- Category: General News
- Created on Friday, 31 October 2008 17:15
Each year Packt Publishing opens the voting booths for users everywhere to cast votes for the best content management system. There are a number of very qualified contenders in each of the categories including CMS Made Simple, Plone, and Drupal. This year, Joomla took the runner-up prize in the categories of Best Overall Open Source CMS Award and the Best PHP Open Source CMS (tied with CMS Made Simple). This results in a total prize winnings of $3500 to the Joomla Project.
Even though Joomla has taken home several Packt Awards in the past, Joomla Core Team member Andrew Eddie asserted, "This has made me more determined to do better next year."
Also, Joomla developer Johan Janssens was awarded the Open Source MVP 2008 prize, a new category in this year's awards, for his outstanding contributions to Joomla.
We at the Joomla Project would like to thank all of our wonderful users to voting for us and a big congratulations goes to Drupal for taking first place in the Best Overall Open Source CMS Award category. We also want to congratulate all the other winners.
Joomla Core Team member Brad Baker summed it up, "The future is bright for open source content management systems like Drupal and Joomla, whichever you use."
- Category: General News
- Created on Wednesday, 24 September 2008 02:46
You may have noticed the Joomla Shop recently got a facelift to match the new Joomla.org front page design. Now, to really perk it up we've added new items too.
When your house doesn't seem to have enough official Joomla merchandise, the Joomla Shop has you covered. Expanding the offerings of the shop are three cool new products, guaranteed to make you the envy of open source enthusiasts everywhere.
Autumn is coming, and with it the brisk weather and need for an awesome Joomla-embroidered lightweight jacket. The Men's R-Tek Fleece Jacket is made from recycled material so it's both stylish and eco-friendly.
For those Joomla supporters who need to lug books, a computer, files, and more around, look no further than the new urban backpack. The Joomla Urban Backpack has a padded computer case, MP3 player pouch and chest/waist straps to make it useful on hikes. And, of course, it also has the beautiful Joomla logo embroidered on the front.
Women do Joomla too, and the shop hasn't forgotten that. Adding to the fall outerwear options is the Women's Soft Touch Hoodie. This hoodie is made from Pima cotton, and due to its infusion of Modal fibers it's luxuriously soft.
Support Joomla by patronizing the shop, and get some great stuff in return.
- Category: Project Release News
- Created on Tuesday, 09 September 2008 01:19
The Joomla Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Joomla 1.5.7 [Wovusani]. This is a security release and contains a number of bug fixes, improvements as well as security fixes. It is strongly recommended that users immediately upgrade. It has been nearly four weeks since Joomla 1.5.6 was released on August 12, 2008. The Development Working Group's goal is to continue to provide regular, frequent updates to the Joomla community.
- Several security issues were fixed in this release. There was 1 critical, 1 major and 2 moderate security vulnerabilities fixed in 1.5.7. For more information, visit the Security Center.
- com_content: Metadata handling; Alias not copied for Articles
- String Escaping: External links; Titles; Alt tags missing on images
- Blog Layout: Article Page break; new Left-to-Right option; Breadcrumbs; Archive Intro Text formatting issues; Section Blog Article links
- Submit Article: Article Order Drop-Down List on Front End Shows Archived and Trashed Articles; Preview edited Article does not use Template Editor.css
- RSS Feed: Publish Date fix; External URLs rendering incorrectly
- SEO: Index and Follow Meta Tag for Print View
- Show_noauth problem; Module Deletion after uninstall; Colspan in mod_latest; Copy Newsflash Module
- Name and Username in mod_login; Menu item is locked after closing
- Search: Textfield Width Parameter; Show Search Results option; Category Search
- Menu Access Rights Corrections; Menu Separator shows as Link
- Beez: Contact Image; Typo in Attribute value; Newsflash Article URL
- ja_purity: e-Mail and Print Button files; Default Article Layout does not display Edit Icon for Authors; Site Logo Text goes under Header background; Top menu
- UPDATE (Sept. 10, 2008): New function countMenuChildren() added for hiding empty split menus
- $row is not Initialized
- Help: Latest Version check; Help Key Reference Update for Modules: New Screen
- Configuration: Time Zone correction
- Media Manager: Base path missing slashes
- Sample Content: Outdated Links in "Welcome to Joomla", Newsfeed Fixes, several updated articles and statistics
- Installation: Remove confusing error message about language files for extension installations
- IIS 6 and IIS 7: JRoute::_() and Application Redirect() fixes
- Parameter Types: SQL, Textarea for Templates
- E-mail: JMail class ignores JConfig.sendmail path for sendmail; Incorrect SEF URLs for outgoing recommendation e-mails
- API: JHTMLSelect fix; queryBatch logging in debug mode; JSite::getParams(); strpos(); setMetadata creates duplicate meta tags; $row is not initialized
- XML-RPC client ID is too high; Profiling J1.5 framework; $row is not initialized
- Cache: JCacheStorageFile::gc flawed logic in cache expiry; Clean Cache file with Cache Manager
UPDATE (Sept. 12, 2008): For FAQs about this release, see http://docs.joomla.org/Category:Version_1.5.7_FAQ