SAY HELLO TO JOOMLA!® 1.7
With Joomla 1.7 the user community placed a large emphasis on making the CMS installation process as simple as possible and new versions more frequent.
This will allow users to more easily and frequently migrate to the latest version of Joomla, and take advantage of all the security benefits associated with running the newest code. We think Joomla users around the world will really embrace this new process.
One Click Version Updating
Update a site to the latest stable Joomla release with just a click. The new built-in updater also handles updates for Joomla and Joomla extensions.
This is a major enhancement improving upon the previous system of manually updating individual files on the server.
Six-Month Release Cycle
A shorter development cycle that will enhance Joomla’s stability by providing more core feature development and adoption. Short-term releases will be in active development for six months, then reach the end-of-life one month after the next version’s release. Long-term support will be active for 15 months, starting with Joomla version 1.8. Version 1.7 will have a support cycle of seven months.
Multilanguage improvements allow you to associate menu items in different languages for faster navigation.
Language packs can now also be built to automatically select the best font for that language for the administrative back end.
- The ability to create a search menu option with pre-defined search options. This allows developers to create a menu item that pre-fills out the search fields so end-users can have a built-in search for a specific phrase.
- Better example code for different plug-in types. The enables developers to more easily build custom extensions.
- The ability to automatically validate form data against a list of options during the save operation. This makes it easier to protect against hackers manipulating forms and trying to save invalid data.
- Enables the submit article form to automatically set the article category. This makes it easier for site administrators to restrict users to a specific category meaning content isn’t accidentally added to the incorrect page on a website.
- Batch processing (copy & move) of articles is now available in the same way as it is for categories and menu items.