- Category: Project Release News
Following the release of Joomla! 1.0.14 [Daybreak] and Joomla! 1.5.1 [Seenu] we are entering the planning phase for the next minor release of Joomla!: version 1.6. With the release, we have two goals: better planning and more involvement with the community.
We will be determining the goals of the release with a planning process that means that we will determine what we are going to implement before we actually start developing. The focus on community involvement will mean that everyone can give input on the features that might get into the next minor release of Joomla!
So what is the plan?
We are starting our work on Joomla! 1.6 by formally setting the goals for the release. To work out what those goals are going to be we are going to consult with the community.
- Category: General News
The Google Highly Open Participation Contest for pre-university students (high school and secondary school students) aimed at encouraging young people to participate in open source projects. Joomla! is proud to have been invited to join with nine other open source organisations for this pilot program. Tomasz DobrzyDski was unanimously selected as Joomla!'s 2008 Grand Prize Winner of the Google Highly Open Participation Contest. Tomasz completed seven tasks during the competition.
- Translate part of the Installation Manual to a non-English Language - output - forum thread
- Create a Blog Entry Date Calendar Icon Plugin for Joomla! v 1.5 - output - forum thread
- Create a Joomla! v 1.5 Plugin to update Twitter status with article title when published - output - forum thread
- Carry out GHOP unit test on the Joomla1 1.5 Test Package for the Front Page Manager - output - forum thread
- Carry out GHOP unit test on the Joomla1 1.5 Test Package: Template Manager - output - forum thread
- Carry out GHOP unit test on the Joomla1 1.5 Test Package: Menu Manager - output - forum thread
- Implement Avatar/Gravatars for Joomla! v 1.5 - output - forum thread
Selecting a winner was difficult because there were many deserving contestants. In review, it was obvious that GHOP was more than a contest for Tomasz. He demonstrated what contributing to a free software community should be like. He discovered that learning is fun, he expressed joy in sharing what he produced with others, he was proud to contribute his gifts, and he was honoured to be a part of the Joomla! community. As is true with many other contestants, Tomasz inspired those of us who worked with the program and reminded us why we also contribute.
We congratulate Tomasz DobrzyDski on this well deserved honor and we thank him, and each of the others, who contributed to the Joomla! community.
All completed contest tasks are available for review and download.
- Google blog post announcing the Grand Prize Winners
- Google Official Contest website
- About the Joomla! GHOP students
- Contest announcement on www.joomla.org
- Joomla! contest pages on code.google.com
- Joomla! contest discussion forum
- Official Joomla! blog posts about the contest
- Category: Project Release News
Following on from the release of Joomla! 1.5.1 [Seenu], we are pleased to announce the immediate release of Joomla! 1.0.14 [Daybreak]. This version has been triggered by reported cross site scripting problems that could occur under the right circumstances. We have also addressed many other general bugs and problems as well.
This release addresses serious security vulnerabilities and you should proceed with testing on a backup copy of your site. Once you have verified that your site works as expected, we recommend upgrade your live site as soon as possible.