- Created on Friday, 24 August 2007 12:39
With the release of the eagerly anticipated Joomla! 1.5, the time hascome to allow one of the skilled designers in our midst to become apart of the success that will be Joomla! 1.5. The Joomla! 1.5Template Contest is open to anyone with a passion for design and adesire to have their design seen and used by millions of people globally as theydownload and install the stable release of Joomla! 1.5.
- The five finalists will each receive a Joomla! prize package that includes a Joomla! laptop bag, Joomla! shirt, Joomla! hat, and a Joomla! 256MB USB memory stick.
- The grand prize winner will have his/her template added as the third template to the Joomla! 1.5 core distribution to be downloaded in every Joomla! 1.5 package.
The Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest procedure will be very similar to the Joomla! Logo Contest from 2005:
- Contestants will have until the 22nd of September 2007 to submit their designs via a contest thread set up in the Joomla! forums.
- Entries are submitted by way of a post titled "Template Contest Entries" which includes a brief introduction to your design and a link to the template package. The template package must be available without registration and must be available until the five finalists have been announced.
- At 23:59 GMT on the 22nd of September 2007 the thread will be locked and no further entries will be allowed.
- The Core Team will go through all contest entries and create a short list of their favourite 5 designs that meet the design and technical requirements of the Template Contest.
- At 23:59 GMT October 6th 2007 the contest finalists will be revealed in a poll thread on the Joomla! Forums and all five templates will be made available via a demo site provided for the duration of the voting period.
- Forum members will have exactly one week, until the 23:59 GMT October 13th 2007 to cast a vote for their favourite design.
- The winner of the competition will be revealed in the final release of Joomla! 1.5.
Contest Rules and Requirements
- Template packages must be installable via the Joomla! 1.5 extension installer.
- All template files must be licensed under the GNU/GPL version 2.
- Templates must be an original work of the person making the design entry.
- Templates must run natively in Joomla! 1.5. They must not require Legacy Mode in order to function.
- Templates must use the Joomla! sample content as-is and not require any moving/modifying of modules/content.
- Templates must utilize at least one Joomla! 1.5 template parameter.
- Templates must provide an example of custom module chrome or template overriding.
- Templates must be valid XHTML 1.0 and CSS.
- Templates should look and function similarly in Internet Explorer 6+, FireFox, Safari, and Opera.
- Templates should not break with any of the sample content.
- Core Team members may not submit entries in the template contest.
- Created on Tuesday, 07 August 2007 13:19
You can now proudly show your Joomla! colours with an official Joomla! Cap, ourJoomla! Laptop Bag, or both! We hope these new products will provideJoomla! fans with a strong visual statement to demonstrate their support. Allprofits from our online shop go back into the project to further itsnot-for-profit aims and ambitions. Look cool and support Joomla! at thesame time.
The ultra-light brushed cotton of this low profile cap looks sensational withthe Joomla! embroidered logo. You'll enjoy the comfort of 96% cotton and justenough spandex to provide pleasant flexibility for long-term wear. The NU-FITband provides a fitted cap look and is designed to absorb moisture whilemaintaining its shape. You won't believe how comfortable this cap is to wear andyou'll look great from the first moment you put it on.
Joomla!Laptop Messenger Bag
If you rely on your laptop, you need a reliable laptop bag. Our Joomla! LaptopMessenger Bag is built for the long haul. With 1680-denier, advanced ballisticnylon and super-tough polyurethane coating on one side for water resistance. Thepadded computer compartment will hold up to a 15" lap top and is designed tokeep it safe, but this versatile travel companion can hold a whole lot more. Twosets of interior organizer pockets help keep everything you need at yourfingertips. Measuring 16.25" w x 12" h x 5.75" d, this solid unit features adurable, PVC bottom; an adjustable, padded shoulder strap with a guided releasebutton; a padded handle; superior stitching; and reflective accents. Carry theJoomla! embroidered logo proudly on this Laptop Messenger Bag.
- Created on Monday, 30 July 2007 08:10
Thailand Open Source Festival
During the 7th Thailand Open Source Software Festival, to be held on August 2-3, 2007 at Bangkok Convention Center, 5th floor Central Plaza Lardpraow
Chatuchak, Alex Kempkens will speak about Joomla! and the reason why a CMS is essential for Web 2.0. The conference which is supported by an exhibition presents several Open Source solutions and projects. The focus of the talks will be how Open Source solutions can be used within the company/office environment. More information can be found in our forum.
LinuxWorld San Francisco
The Linux World Expo in San Francisco has a very good reputation for the Joomla! project and Open Source in general. Meet Joomla! core team members Louis Landry, Rob Schley and Johan Janssens from August 6-9, 2007 at the Moscone Center San Francisco, CA. We are very proud that Joomla! project manager Johan Janssens will speak at the conference. Johan will introduce the audience to Joomla! with his session about: "Understanding the Joomla Framework - Tips and Tricks From the Frontline". The session will cover several aspects of the new Joomla! Framework and will give an overview of the different packages as well as explaining its usage with examples.
Does this sound exciting? A must see session we would say! Important for everybody wanting to meet the Joomla! team at the event. If you sign up before the event (until the 5th of August) registration is FREE (0,- US-$). Check out the conference details at the linuxworldexpo.com site. Visitors to the exhibition will have the opportunity to meet Louis, Rob and some other special guests as well as other community members. Check out the forum and show hands if you will be around to talk about the latest news about the Joomla! project, your websites and everything else you like to talk about.
Finally we will demonstrate how you can easily create completely new web applications based on the Framework in just a few lines of code.
Over past years Joomla! has won some prestigious awards at the SF LinuxWorld. With the release of Joomla! 1.5 we believe this takes the project to a whole new level. The new framework is fast becoming recognised as 'the next big thing' in open source technologies. 1.5 is attracting some amazing new talent — with third-party developers and architects wanting to achieve more than ever before with the Joomla! 1.0 series. "These are most definitely THE most exciting times of the Joomla! project," Johan said. "We've put in thousands of hours of development time creating this 'next generation framework' and we feel its potential is only limited by people's imaginations. Joomla! is now much more than a CMS."
San Francisco in Detail:
- DOT.org Pavillion at Booth 11
- The booth will be manned by core team members Louis Landry, Rob Schley and Johan Janssens, together with members of the local Joomla! usergroups.
Tuesday, 7 August:
Community Meetup @ Thirsty Bear
Meet at booth at 17:00; walk to venue at 17:30
Wednesday, 8 August:
Johan's Janssens Talk
10:15 - 11:15 - Understanding the Joomla! Framework - Tips and Tricks From the Frontline (Session Q4)
Thursday, 9 August
James Vasile (of OSM and the Software Freedom Law Center) talk
10:15 - 11:15 - Inside the GPLv3
REGISTRATION FOR FREE
Exhibit registration : http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/TB296182//SN298548 (free)
Website : http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/
Tuesday August 7, 2007 10:00 AM 5:00 PM
Wednesday August 8, 2007 10:00 AM 5:00 PM
Thursday August 9, 2007 10:00 AM 4:00 PM
* Please note the LinuxWorld has no public exhibition on August 6.
ON-SITE REGISTRATION HOURS
Registration is located in the upper north lobby of the Moscone Center
The Moscone Center
747 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94103