- Category: Team News
- Created on Wednesday, 19 September 2007 18:45
Core team member and forum admin Brad Baker says the million posts would never have eventuated without the passionate support of our moderators.
"The 1 million posts is a big one for sure," he said, "but without our teams of volunteers to keep the forum running efficiently it would never have happened."
"I'd like to dedicate this celebration to everyone involved with management of the forums ... all volunteers, all committed Joomla! users too. They all form part of the bigger picture that generally makes open source software an uplifting, shared experience. Thanks guys and girls, this announcement recognises you!"
• 1 million posts and counting
• About 200, 000 topics and counting
• 130,000 plus registered members
We won't do an Academy Award thing and name all of the top contributors but it is worth noting that of the ten 'most time online members', seven are members of workgroups with a combined time online in the forums of more than 2.067 (rounded) years.
Some of the memorable moments include the launch of brand Joomla! Most loved it, some laughed at it but we reckon it's unforgettable. Of course there was the virtual BBQ and 'Your Joomla! story' where people were swapping thoughts and, of course, who could forget the more recent GPL discussions. We believe the next big step in traffic will be once Joomla! 1.5 goes stable. When? This is partly up to you ... come on, roll your sleeves up, jump in and contribute where you can. We're just hitting full stride.
- Category: Project Release News
- Created on Friday, 31 August 2007 17:33
It is roughly five weeks after the RC1 release and we have made major improvements in certain areas of the 1.5 codebase. Time to share another RC with the community. Some improvements and areas of changes are listed below:
- Router refactoring solving a range of bugs
- Media Manager refactoring, moving this to MVC standards
- Updated scripts (version); mootools, tinyMCE, Xstandard
- Core template improvements
- Template language installer support
- ... and of course a lot more
Note: due to the Router refactoring there will be known issues with SEF url's.
Important, you need to upgrade! In the current RC1 we found three security issues, one SQL injection, one XSS, and a few full path disclosure vulnerabilities. Those security issues are solved in the new release.
Where we go from here: as you might have read on a recent blog, we will have at least one more Release Candidate (RC3) and hope to move to a Stable release from there on.
- Category: General News
- Created on Friday, 24 August 2007 12:39
With the release of the eagerly anticipated Joomla! 1.5, the time hascome to allow one of the skilled designers in our midst to become apart of the success that will be Joomla! 1.5. The Joomla! 1.5Template Contest is open to anyone with a passion for design and adesire to have their design seen and used by millions of people globally as theydownload and install the stable release of Joomla! 1.5.
- The five finalists will each receive a Joomla! prize package that includes a Joomla! laptop bag, Joomla! shirt, Joomla! hat, and a Joomla! 256MB USB memory stick.
- The grand prize winner will have his/her template added as the third template to the Joomla! 1.5 core distribution to be downloaded in every Joomla! 1.5 package.
The Joomla! 1.5 Template Contest procedure will be very similar to the Joomla! Logo Contest from 2005:
- Contestants will have until the 22nd of September 2007 to submit their designs via a contest thread set up in the Joomla! forums.
- Entries are submitted by way of a post titled "Template Contest Entries" which includes a brief introduction to your design and a link to the template package. The template package must be available without registration and must be available until the five finalists have been announced.
- At 23:59 GMT on the 22nd of September 2007 the thread will be locked and no further entries will be allowed.
- The Core Team will go through all contest entries and create a short list of their favourite 5 designs that meet the design and technical requirements of the Template Contest.
- At 23:59 GMT October 6th 2007 the contest finalists will be revealed in a poll thread on the Joomla! Forums and all five templates will be made available via a demo site provided for the duration of the voting period.
- Forum members will have exactly one week, until the 23:59 GMT October 13th 2007 to cast a vote for their favourite design.
- The winner of the competition will be revealed in the final release of Joomla! 1.5.
Contest Rules and Requirements
- Template packages must be installable via the Joomla! 1.5 extension installer.
- All template files must be licensed under the GNU/GPL version 2.
- Templates must be an original work of the person making the design entry.
- Templates must run natively in Joomla! 1.5. They must not require Legacy Mode in order to function.
- Templates must use the Joomla! sample content as-is and not require any moving/modifying of modules/content.
- Templates must utilize at least one Joomla! 1.5 template parameter.
- Templates must provide an example of custom module chrome or template overriding.
- Templates must be valid XHTML 1.0 and CSS.
- Templates should look and function similarly in Internet Explorer 6+, FireFox, Safari, and Opera.
- Templates should not break with any of the sample content.
- Core Team members may not submit entries in the template contest.